During the June 19-August 5, 2018 Regional Cabled Array VISIONS’18 cruise onboard the R/V Roger Revelle using the remotely operated vehicle Jason more than 100 cabled instruments will be recovered and reinstalled on the submarine fiber optic observatory.
During this cruise:
- 6 instrumented science pods on the Shallow Profiler Moorings will be recovered, installed, and tested on the 12 ft across, 7,000 lb platforms at 200 m water depth. Each mooring hosts 18 diverse instruments;
- 1 complete two-legged Shallow Profiler Mooring will be installed at the Endurance Offshore site
- 2 Deep Profiler moorings will be recovered and reinstalled (Endurance Offshore and Slope Base), each hosting an instrumented Mclane wire crawler and another will be installed at the base of Axial Seamount;
- 5 instrumented secondary junction boxes, each hosting an diverse array of instruments will be recovered and reinstalled; and
- 2 Benthic Experiment Platforms will be recovered and reinstalled
- In addition, 6 novel new instruments will be installed at Axial Seamount and at Southern Hydrate Ridge
CTD water casts to measure ocean parameters, and fluid sampling and analyses of seawater, seep and hydrothermal fluids will be conducted for instrument verification.